News Article

Half of Workers Report Getting More Job Interviews and Offers After Implementing AI

Posted 19th June 2024 • Written by Newsdesk •

LiveCareer®, a career service dedicated to resumes and cover letters, surveyed 1,150 U.S.-based workers in March 2024 to explore how artificial intelligence (AI) is being adopted in the job search process and to assess the outcomes job seekers have achieved by using it. The report also examined confidence levels in using AI and shed light on ethical views around job seekers and employers using AI.

According to the resulting AI in the Job Search Report, roughly four in ten (39 per cent) workers say AI has revolutionised how they find jobs, build resumes, and prepare for job interviews. Around half report getting more interviews (51 per cent) and more job offers (50 per cent) since implementing AI in their job search process. Additionally, 42 per cent say it has improved their response rate from employers. However, the same survey found that many think it should be illegal for recruiters to use AI in the recruitment process.

Workers report additional positive effects from integrating AI into their job search efforts. 85 per cent say using AI to write their application documents saves them time. 39 per cent say it makes them sound smarter, and 40 per cent believe AI improves their grammar, writing, and vocabulary. Overall, roughly 8 in 10 (79 per cent) workers have implemented AI in their job search.

“AI tools provide a substantial advantage to job seekers by automating the customisation of resumes and cover letters,” said Jasmine Escalera, career expert at LiveCareer. “These tools use insights derived from current industry trends to recommend specific keywords and the most effective formatting, helping candidates to showcase their qualifications in the most compelling way.”

But this is as far as many want AI involved in the job seeking process. Recruiters, it seems should not be allowed to use the technology to place candidates:

  • 3 in 4 workers believe employers using AI in the recruitment process should be prohibited by law.
  • 36 per cent are worried that AI could cause recruiters to overlook qualified candidates

Despite their judgment that employers should not be able to use AI in reviewing job application materials, job seekers do think it is ethical for candidates to use AI.

  • 98 per cent say it’s ethical to use AI to build a resume (with 39 per cent viewing it as completely ethical and 59 per cent as somewhat ethical).
  • 97 per cent claim it is ethical to write a cover letter using AI tools (50 per cent consider it completely ethical and 47 per cent somewhat ethical).
  • However, roughly 9 in 10 (86 per cent) would be concerned if a potential employer could tell that they used AI to assist them in writing their application materials

“On the one hand, job seekers are comfortable using AI in their job hunting and claim it saves them time. On the other, they don’t want it in the recruitment process,” said Escalera. “This double standard speaks to the general fear that without the human eye, talent will be overlooked. After all, if we rely too much on keywords and ATS, we miss nuance in identifying talent. And that is the last thing any job seeker would want for themselves.”

To read the original article click here

Click to see more Business News from People First Recruitment, London & UK specialists in recruitment for Mandarin speaking jobs, Japanese jobs, Language jobs and jobs in Supply Chain, Procurement and Demand Planning