(Scroll to the end for extra tips on CVs and for a pdf Template with Tips)
There is no such thing as a perfect CV and there are many different schools of thought on the best approach. However, a CV must be easy to read, structured and contain the relevant information. Your People First Recruitment consultant will be able to advise you individually on your CV, its content and layout. However, here are a few pointers to get you started:
- Use only one typeface
- Use bullet points where possible
- Keep the layout clean and organised
- Limit your CV to a maximum of two sides of A4
- Double check your CV for spelling and grammatical errors and ask a friend to check your CV before you send it out.
- Make sure your CV is factual and concise
- Back up your skills with examples when possible
- Always be honest about facts including qualifications
- Provide all your work history and explain any gaps – never try to cover up any gaps by tweaking the dates
- The most important information should appear on the first page
- Write a personal profile of yourself to highlight your strengths, achievements and qualities (this should be about 50 words)
- Include details of your education and qualifications, as well as names of schools and results achieved
- Detail your work history in
chronologicalorder, starting with your present or most recent job
Please download this sample CV, with tips included, to help create your own.
Here is a blank CV template for you to use.