Temp Q & A

When do I get paid?

People First operates a weekly payroll, processing pay one week in arrears. Cleared funds will be available in your account each Friday after the week worked, provided we have received your signed/authorised timesheet by our deadline of 16.00 on Monday after the week worked.

How will I be paid?

We pay all temps by BACS directly into a UK bank account. Payment is made on the Friday following the week you work.

Will I get paid overtime?

Please refer to the initial email with subject field “Assignment Details Confirmation"

How do I get a timesheet?

Please send an email to time@people-first.co.uk to request a timesheet

How do I fill in my timesheet?

Ensure your timesheet is completed correctly including: Week commencing date, your name, the name of the company where you are working, the start and end times (to the nearest 15 minutes), the total hours worked and the client’s signature/authorisation. Signed/authorised timesheets should be sent to time@people-first.co.uk by 4pm on the Monday following the week worked. If you have taken any days as paid holiday, please ensure you tick the “holiday” box.

Can you explain what the information on my payslip means?

Payslip Sample

Who do I contact if I have a payroll query?

In the first instance, send an email to time@people-first.co.uk The response time for urgent queries is one working day; the response time for non-urgent queries is up to two working days.

How do I get a National Insurance number?

Firstly call Jobcentre Plus on to 0845 600 0643 to apply for a National Insurance number. The opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm. They will send you an application form and might also ask you to go for an interview to confirm your identity.

What happens if I’m on the wrong tax code or I’m paying too much tax?

If you think your tax code is wrong or that you are paying too much tax, you need to tell HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible to make sure you pay the right amount of tax. If it is wrong you may be due a tax refund, or you may need to pay more tax.

How can I get a tax refund if I have paid too much tax?

You should contact HMRC if you think you’ve paid too much tax. They may already have everything they need to check your claim. If not, they’ll tell you what information they need. Any refund due for this tax year will be repaid to you with your weekly wages if People First receives a notification from HMRC. Refunds for previous tax years will be sent direct to you by HMRC.

What are my tax office details?

The People First Tax Office reference number is 951 / P5022. The contact details are as follows: H.M. Inspectors of Taxes, Chapel Wharf Area, Trinity Bridge House, 2 Dearmans Place, Salford M3 5BS Tel: 0845 300 0627

When do I get my P60?

HMRC’s deadline for issuing P60s is 31st May. In practice we process them as soon as possible. Please note, you will only receive a P60 if you were employed by People First (Recruitment) Ltd on the 5th April. If you left before that date you will have received a P45 which contains your pay and tax information.

I am leaving my temp assignment. When do I get my P45?

If your assignment is finishing, please contact your People First consultant. You also need to tick the relevant box on your timesheet to request a P45. Our payroll department will make your final payment (to include any holiday pay due) on the normal pay day. Your P45 will be sent to you a few days later.

Who should I contact if I am unable to attend work?

Contact your consultant at PeopleFirst on the numbers below as soon as you know that you are unable to attend work. Try to give us as much notice as possible; we will then notify the company where you are engaged to work. London City office: 020 7796 3636 Staines-upon-Thames office: 01784 737 035

Do I get paid for public/bank holidays?

You have a statutory right to pro-rata of 28 days which includes the eight UK bank holidays. People First temps get paid when bank holidays fall during a temp assignment (in accordance with clause 7.8 of your terms of engagement) providing you have accrued sufficient holiday.

Am I entitled to take paid holiday?

You are entitled to paid annual leave, which you will accrue on a pro-rata basis. The statutory amount is 28 days including public holidays. For example, if you worked 6 months of the year, you would accrue 14 days holiday. If a public holiday falls during your temp assignment, you will be paid for that day (it will be deducted from your statutory holiday entitlement).
Please note that the People First holiday year runs from April 1st. It is your responsibility to take your holiday entitlement before 31st March since it is not lawful to carry forward unused holiday to the next holiday year.

Can I carry holiday forward to the next holiday year?

No. Unfortunately, it is unlawful to carry forward any unused holiday. We advise you to use up all your holiday before 31st March.

What do I have to do if I want to take paid holiday?

STEP ONE: Ask your line manager whether you can take time off.
STEP TWO: Contact our payroll department by email (time@people-first.co.uk) to request your holiday. Please make sure that you give sufficient notice. The notice period should be at least twice as long as the holiday you wish to take. For example, if you want to take one week’s holiday, you should give two week’s notice.

Am I entitled to Sick Pay?

You are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), if you meet the qualifying criteria. Your first 3 days of sickness will be unpaid, but from the 4th day you may be entitled to SSP: You will need to provide evidence of your incapacity to work, such as a doctor’s certificate etc. If you are not sure, please email to time@people-first.co.uk

Can I use my annual leave entitlement so that I get paid for my sick leave?

Yes, you can take your sick leave as paid annual leave providing you’ve accrued a sufficient amount of holiday leave.

What should I do if I wish to leave?

If you have any concerns or wish to leave a job, please contact your consultant, who will advise you.